125 E. Walnut Street, Westerville, Oh 43081
Dispatch: (614) 797-5950 | Fax: (614) 797-5951
- Robert Lynde - Director, Purchasing & Logistics (e-mail)
- Randy Snyder - Manager, Transportation (e-mail)
- Shawn Dawson - Asst. Manager, Fleet & Distribution (e-mail)
- Jan Horn - Asst. Manager, Transportation (e-mail)
- Carletta Swackhammer - Asst. Manager, Transportation (MyVan Fleet) (e-mail)
- Alan Hunt - Student Safety & Discipline, Transportation (e-mail)
- Samantha Fleming - Secretary/Dispatcher (e-mail)
- Anne Smith - Secretary/Dispatcher (e-mail)
- Vickie Weisenberger - Secretary/Dispatcher (MyVan Fleet) (e-mail)
TRANSPORTATION QUICK LINKS
- Alternate Site Request Form
- Career Center Transportation Request Form (2020-2021 Forthcoming)
- Delaware Area Career Center Morning/Mid-Day Info
- Columbus Career Center Information (2020-2021 Forthcoming)
- Non-Public, Private, and Charter School Transportation Information for 2020-2021 School Year is Forthcoming
- Non-Public Transportation Request Form (2020-2021 Forthcoming)
- Interested in becoming a bus driver for Westerville City Schools? Click here!
STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Adopted from the Ohio Department of Education
Who is eligible to receive busing for their schools?
Ohio law requires boards of education to provide transportation for pupils in kindergarten through eighth grade who live more than two miles from their assigned school.
Westerville City School has chosen to extend transportation services to students in kindergarten through 10th grade and 11th & 12th grade on space available basis. In general, resident students who live more than one mile from their assigned school are eligible for transportation services. The district also takes into account cases where the school is in an area that is difficult to access due to the lack of sidewalks, posted speed limits above 25 mph or other hazards.
Parents who's student have been "Open Enrolled" are not eligible for transportation.
I cannot see my child’s bus stop from the house. Are there laws with standards for bus stop location?
No law requires a parent to see the bus stop from home. Students in Ohio may be assigned to a bus stop up to one-half mile from their home and we encourage parents to accompany their child to the bus stop whenever possible. This teaches the child safe habits of walking to and from the bus stop and may give the parent piece of mind. Bus stop locations are determined by each district’s board of education.
Are sidewalks required for my child to get to his/her bus stop?
Many students walk alongside of roadways to reach their bus stop and in some instances no sidewalks exist. While we understand this may be of concern in some situations, the Department of Education does not promulgate bus stop placement. Issues relating to where a child’s bus stop is located and safety concerns along the way to the bus stop must be addressed with the district in which you reside.
I make my child wait inside of my house until the bus is at the stop. I have heard this is not allowed – is this true?
Ohio law requires children to be waiting at the bus stop prior to its arrival. Bus drivers count the students at the bus stop before they load and as they get on the bus to ensure all children are safely on board. If students are not waiting at the bus stop the bus driver cannot count them and cannot be certain the students are all safely on board. Waiting at the bus stop before the bus arrives further ensures that no one chases after the bus – this is a very dangerous thing to do. Many districts also instruct their buses to not stop at locations where no students are waiting.
Career Center FAQ's
What Career Centers do you offer transportation to?
Westerville City Schools offers transportation to 4 different Career Centers. Delaware Area Career Center, Fort Hayes, and Columbus Downtown Career Center.
What times is transportation offered?
We provide transportation to all 4 Career Centers in the AM, Midday, and PM. Student can choose to attend their Career Center in the AM or PM with Midday busing to or from their Career Center or for students that attend all day.