Pictured at Otterbein University’s STEAM Center announcement event are Westerville City Schools educators Anne Baldwin, District Career Tech & College Readiness Coordinator; Lyndsey Manzo, Secondary Science Curriculum Specialist; and Dwight Back, 7th grade Engineering & Design instructor, Heritage and Walnut Springs middle schools.
Westerville City Schools was excited to showcase the district’s Mobile FabLab and highlight a partnership with Otterbein University last Friday at Otterbein’s STEAM Center announcement event.
Otterbein University is partnering with leading organizations from the private and public sectors in Central Ohio to create a new science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) Innovation Center that will combine academics with the business and manufacturing needs of the Westerville community. Located at 60 Collegeview Road, the STEAM Innovation Center will be home to two resident companies and Otterbein academic departments, with lab space available to businesses and the broader community.
Otterbein University will serve as the lead organization and will create and manage the facility and establish an educational framework which will integrate with the business programs and services offered by the center. The center will offer:
- Space and services to support start-up businesses with potential to become high-growth companies;
- Lab space and services to support research and development and prototyping for small- to medium-sized manufacturers;
- Makerspace for all who are interested in innovation and creation;
- Opportunities for interaction between business users and Otterbein students and faculty;
- Networking opportunities for all who are interested in innovation and entrepreneurship; and
- Partnerships with Westerville City Schools to provide opportunities for K-12 students.
As Westerville’s Engineering Pathway grows from the 7th grade semester Engineering and Design course to high school course offerings, Westerville City Schools students and staff will have the opportunity to work with and learn from Otterbein’s Systems Engineering faculty and students.
For more information about Otterbein’s STEAM Center, please visit www.otterbein.edu/steamcenter.