Alcott Elementary students who contributed at least $50 to the American Heart Association got to spray Physical Education teacher Paul McNeal with water cannons. The school raised more than $13,000 for the cause this year, and has donated a remarkable $157,272.00 since 2004.
Ten Westerville City schools participated in Jump Rope for Heart, Hoops for Heart and Red Out for Heart activities this year to earn money for the American Heart Association. At the conclusion of the 2014-2015 school year, a whopping $34,899.79 had been raised for the organization. Participants were:
- Alcott Elementary (under the direction of volunteer coordinator Paul McNeal), $13,128.34;
- Annehurst Elementary (Lindsey Visintine), $5,273.15;
- Cherrington Elementary (Dustin Lee), $4,311.00;
- Robert Frost Elementary (Student Council), $168.25;
- Hawthorne Elementary (Alisa Franklin), $2,023.71;
- McVay Elementary (Tom Carter), $5,223.34;
- Wilder Elementary (Michael Spatafore), $3,328.00;
- Heritage Middle School (Kerry Burton), $823.00;
- Walnut Springs Middle School (Stuart Gartrell), $451.00;
- Westerville South High School (Lisa Baughman), $170.00.
The money will be used for improving patient care; research; advocating for better health; raising awareness; protecting the future; educating Americans; and reaching out to populations at risk.