Westerville City Schools are preparing to begin the registration process for our next kindergarten class. We look forward to meeting our new families and greeting our returning families. Kindergarten is required for children before entering first grade. If your child will be five years old on or before September 30, 2015, you may register him/her for kindergarten.
Half-Day kindergarten classes are housed within each home school. If you are unsure of your current home school of attendance, please contact any Westerville City Schools’ elementary school or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 614/797-7700. Those who wish to apply to the All-Day Kindergarten lottery may do so in March. Details can be found at www.wcsoh.org/ADK.
If your child is a currently enrolled Westerville City Schools’ preschool student, you do not have to re-register with Westerville City Schools. Please feel free to pick up informational materials to familiarize yourself with Kindergarten-related opportunities and activities. This information will be available at Kindergarten 101 as well as in the elementary buildings, the Early Learning Center and the Enrollment and Family Resource Center.
If your child turns five years old after September 30, 2015, and you believe they are ready for Kindergarten, please contact our Gifted & Talented Services department at 614/797-5887 to discuss early entrance.
Tuesday, March 10 – 7:00 p.m. – KINDERGARTEN 101
- Parents are invited to attend a presentation that clarifies the process for enrolling children in kindergarten, explains the kindergarten day and student expectations, and allows parents an opportunity to ask questions about the kindergarten experience. Parents will have the opportunity to pick-up informational materials, as well as schedule an appointment for enrollment. Kindergarten 101 will be held at both Fouse and Hawthorne Elementary Schools. The same presentation will be made concurrently at both sites.
Monday, March 16 – KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION BEGINS
- Parents pre-register online at www.wcsoh.org by clicking on the green enrollment tab at the bottom of the home page, and then returning the required documentation to the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at their appointed time.
- If a parent is unable to meet their scheduled appointment, the parent is responsible for calling the Enrollment and Family Resource Center as soon as possible to reschedule.
- Requirements/Documentation for registration:
- Completed online registration;
- Original birth certificate, I-94 card, Permanent Resident Visa, or Green Card
- Photo ID for custodial parent
- Original court-stamped documents for custody, if applicable to situation
- Updated immunization records
- Medical records (of chronic conditions, if applicable)
- Current IEP/MFE or 504 Plan, if applicable to your child
- Two (2) proofs of residency are required: choose first (1st) proof from A; choose second (2nd) proof from B:
- 1st Proof Options:
- Current Rental/Lease agreement with custodial parent’s name listed; OR
- Current Mortgage Statement with custodial parent’s name listed; OR
- Purchase Contract Agreement to buy property (if you will close on the sale of the property within 90 days of enrollment), AND
- 2nd Proof Options:
- Current (within 30 days) Public Utility Bill (water, gas, electric, landline phone, or cable bill) showing service at the address of the resident; OR
- Current (within 30 days) Government Mailing (child support, government assistance, tax mailing); OR
- Official confirmation from the US Postal Service of your Change-of Address mailed to you at your new address
State law requires immunizations to be completed prior to entering school. Requirements are:
- DTP or DtaP shots (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus): A minimum of 4 doses are required. If the fourth dose was administered before the age of four, a fifth dose is required.
- Polio vaccine: 3 or more doses; the final dose must be given on or after the 4th birthday
- MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella): 2 doses required – 1st dose required on or after 12 months of age
- HBV (Hepatitis B Virus) – 3 doses required, with proper spacing criteria
- VARIVAX (chicken pox vaccine) or disease history – Two doses or history of disease is required for Kindergarten entry. The first dose must be given on or after the first birthday. If the student has had the disease, verification/date may be provided by physician or parent.
Immunizations are available through your local health departments – Westerville and Gahanna, 614/462-3635; Columbus, 614/645-7945; and Delaware County, 740/368-1700.
If you have any questions regarding Kindergarten registration, please call your elementary school’s office or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 614/797-7700. You may also visit our school website at www.wcsoh.org for additional information.