Members of the Middle School Realignment Committee participate in small group discussions.
The Westerville City School District’s realignment committees met March 2, 2020, in their first working meetings to develop attendance boundaries for elementary and middle schools. Committee members are tasked with recommending adjustments that conform to the following parameters:
- Each school should have a total student population consistent with the number of classrooms planned to serve the general population, exclusive of rooms set aside for other uses.
- Students living within non-transport boundaries for one or more schools should receive strong consideration to be assigned to one of those buildings.
- When possible, recommended boundaries should eliminate the need to “overflow” students and take into consideration space to accommodate anticipated enrollment growth.
- Consideration should be given to all schools’ demographic profiles during the attendance boundary development process.
- Change from the present attendance boundaries should be minimized.
- Students with disabilities should be placed in accordance with applicable laws with consideration given to appropriate services, specialized spaces, and sound educational practices that meet students’ identified needs.
- All students within the new attendance boundaries, with the exception of magnet program students and participants in the Longfellow all-day kindergarten program, shall be required to attend their assigned school except when approved through the open enrollment process or reassigned by the Superintendent/designee for extenuating circumstances.
- Student travel time on school transportation should be considered (excluding Magnet Schools).
Each realignment committee consists of two co-facilitators, five community members, and other district staff as appointed based upon their job functions, areas of expertise, and/or instructional level to which they are assigned. Other members of the district’s leadership team remain on site during the meetings and are available to the committees to answer questions and provide additional resources they may need to complete their work.
The realignment committees will hold a minimum of four public forums for the purpose of soliciting feedback on proposed attendance boundary configurations prior to making final recommendations. These forums are scheduled as follows:
- 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., May 6, 2020, Westerville North HS, 950 County Line Rd.
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., June 3, 2020, Westerville Central HS, 7118 Mount Royal Ave.
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m., August 5, 2020, WCSD Early Learning Center, 936 Eastwind Dr.
- 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., September 2, 2020, Westerville South HS, 303 S. Otterbein Ave.
Additional information will be posted online at http://www.wcsoh.org/boundary as it becomes available.